- This event has passed.
Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens
August 11, 2018
A little about Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens
Opened in 2007, Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens’ mission is to inspire meaningful connections among people, plants and nature through horticulture, education and research. This year’s theme, The Botany of Butterflies, includes a greenhouse for butterflies, moths and their host plants, all of which are native to New England. We’re excited to educate the public about the ecological value of these vital pollinators.
The Gardens’ 295-acre setting sits along the shoreline of Boothbay’s Back River and is comprised of miles of meandering paths through woodlands, ledged topography, wetlands and colorful cultivated gardens. We have a new Visitor Center which is the keystone of a 20 year master plan featuring a new plant nursery and horticultural research center, a year-round conservatory, an expanded educational space, a homestead demonstration area and wetland boardwalk. We’re excited to expand our educational offerings for professional horticulture development, including a plan to provide training in Horticultural Therapy.
Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens recognizes the power of Horticultural Therapy as a process that deeply engages and nurtures people through plants and nature. Intentionally designed for that purpose is the Lerner Garden of the Five Senses, where accessibility is key and all available senses are invigorated. A post-and-beam activity pavilion resides in the ”taste” area and, during the warm growing season and on sunny days, this area serves as the programming space for Horticultural Therapy and Therapeutic Horticulture activities. Raised stone wall gardens, vertical gardens, a variety of differing container gardens, wheelchair gardening points and an outdoor ADA slate garden sink are some of the components making this programming space ideal. Participants in the HT program can be independent residents or groups from organized facilities. They are people who live with visual and hearing impairments, intellectual and developmental challenges and/or physical and emotional challenges. Ages of participants can range anywhere from 20-95 years old.
Staff Horticultural Therapist, AHTA and NEHTN member, Irene Barber, HTR, will host the event and explain more about the HT program at the Gardens, coordinate an HT activity for NEHTN participants and guide the group on an in-depth tour of the Lerner Garden of the Five Senses. Additionally, a five-person panel will introduce and discuss Horticultural Therapy to general public attendees invited by and registered through CMBG, including regional practitioners or students in the healthcare or education fields. Anyone interested, not affiliated with NEHTN, can register on CMBG’s website. The agenda is listed below.
We are in search of five panelists who are either HTRs or have a Certificate in Horticultural Therapy. Those who volunteer to be on the panel will receive the option of either a gift from Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens’ Gardenshop or two complimentary admission tickets (separate from the workshop day).
We hope that you can come experience this magical botanical garden and revel in natural beauty accentuated by creative garden design. You will have time to wander, explore and rest within quiet nooks of the Gardens or along the coastal woodland. Please contact Irene Barber directly at [email protected] with any questions and any accessibility accommodations needed. We have accessibility cart tours, rental scooters and shuttles to help get people where they want to go if walking is not possible.
Parking for this event will be at our designated Education Center parking lots. As you drive up the main driveway to Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens, please take the first right. Follow the Education Center parking signs, then proceed to the Bosarge Family Education Center.
We look forward to seeing you soon!
Covers Admission to Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens, Entirety of Workshop and Lunch.
Members: $30.00 Non-Members: $35.00
For Directions Please refer to CMBG’s website link: ‘Getting Here’. http://www.mainegardens.org/visit/hours-admission-getting/
To learn more about our different gardens or about our history, please visit our website: www.mainegardens.org
- 9:00-10:00am – Registrants check-in and network, accompanied by tea/coffee, juice, scones and muffins (gluten free options will be available)
- 10:00-11:15 – Business Meeting (only for workshop participants)
- 11:30-12:30 – HT Activity, TBD (only for workshop participants)
- 12:30-1:15 – Lunch with CMBG’s public registrants (provided)
- 1:30-2:30 – Panel Discussion (CMBG and NEHTN registrants)This is a great opportunity for everyone to learn more and to contribute professional testimonials
- 2:45-3:30 – Tour of the Lerner Garden of the Five Senses
- 3:30-3:45 – Wrap-up and any additional Q&A
There are a lot to choose from, but here’s a list of places that Irene recommends with a variety of prices and room options for shared accommodations:
- Boothbay and Boothbay Harbor (5-10mins from CMBG):
- White Anchor Inn (www.whiteanchorinnboothbay.com )
- Thistle Inn (www.thethistleinn.com )
- Flagship Inn (www.boothbaylodging.com )
- Harborage Inn (www.harborageinn.com )
- Linekin Bay Resort (www.linekinbayresort.com )
- Spruce Point Inn (www.sprucepointinn.com )
- Ocean Gate Resort (www.oceangateresort.com )
- Edgecomb/Wiscasset (up the peninsula, on Rte 1 between Wiscasset, Newcastle and Boothbay)
- Cod Cove Inn
- Wiscasset Woods Lodge
- Newcastle/Damariscotta (twin towns, 18 mins from CMBG)
- Mill Pond Inn (www.millpondinn.com )
- Oak Gables B&B (www.oakgablesbb.com)
- Bath (city of ships, 30 mins. from CMBG)
- Hampton Inn (www.hamptoninn3.hilton.com) 140 Commercial St., Bath
- Brunswick, (45 mins. from CMBG), great central location between Boothbay and Portland, ME. Has Bowdoin College, lots of great restaurants, my personal favorite called the Frontier Café overlooking the Androscoggin River, close to other peninsulas to explore such as Harpswell, Phippsburg and close to Freeport w/ LLBean).
- Brunswick Inn and Tavern
- Days Inn Brunswick Bath Area
- Freeport, (55mins from CMBG, shopping outlets & LL Bean)
- Hilton Garden Inn
- Econo Lodge
- Super 8
- August 11, 2018
- Irene Barber, HTR
- (207) 633-8034
If you have an event you feel is of interest to our members and would like to advertise this event please email [email protected] so that we can incorporate it into our calendar schedule.